I'm a Marie Curie experienced researcher at the Cologne Center for eHumanities of the University of Cologne.
My main research topics are the design of knowledge (how to represent and store information) and the evolution of information (understanding and forecasting how information and its structure will change over time).
My current focus is on on making diff algorithms understand more meaningful changes and to use diff algorithms to get a deeper understanding of how documents and software evolve.
- web site
Recent invited talks and public lectures
- Künstliche Intelligenz im Klartext (Artificial intelligence, in plain terms)
- Delivered at Center for Advanced Internet Studies. (CAIS 2017).
- Not a single bit in common: issues in collating digital transcriptions of Ibn Rušd's writings in multiple languages (Arabic, Hebrew and Latin).
- Delivered at DHAD 2017: Digital Humanities in the Arab world. New York University Abu Dhabi.
These are only few of my publications, all the others are available in a separate page where I maintain the complete list of my publications, as well at DBLP and Google scholar.
- The CMV+P document model, linear version (forthcoming)
- Versioning Cultural Objects, IDE, 2017. , In
- Measuring the quality of diff algoriths: a formalization
- Computer Standards & Interfaces, Volume 46, Elsevier, 2016, pp. 52-65, DOI: 10.1016/j.csi.2015.12.005. . In
- Introduction to the universal delta model
- Proceedings of the 2013 ACM symposium on Document engineering (DocEng '13), ACM, 2013, pp. 47-56. DOI: 10.1145/2494266.2494284. . In
- A universal delta model
- Ph.D. thesis. Università di Bologna, 2013. .
- Multi-layer markup and ontological structures in Akoma Ntoso
- AI Approaches to the Complexity of Legal Systems. Complex Systems, the Semantic Web, Ontologies, Argumentation, and Dialogue, Springer, 2010, pp. 133-149. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-16524-5_9. . In
- Embedding semantic annotations within texts: the FRETTA approach
- Proceedings of the 27th Annual ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC '12), ACM, 2012, 658-663. DOI: 10.1145/2245276.2245403. . In
- ACM DChanges (Document Changes, part of ACM DocEng)
- Organizer (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016).
- ACM SAC
- Member of the program committee, Web technologies track (2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017).
- Semantic Web Journal
- Member of the editorial board, Special issue on Semantic Web for the legal domain (2012, 2013).
These are some of courses that I am teaching or I have taught at the University of Cologne. Dear students, you can find all the details (hours, credits, etc.) in KLIPS2.
- Komplexität: Algorithmen und Datenstrukturen (Complexity: Algorithms and data structures)
- HKI, Universität zu Köln
- Text genetics, collaborative editing, document changes and versioning
- HKI, Universität zu Köln
- A trilingual edition of the work of the Arab-Andalusian philosopher Ibn Rušd. 300+ manuscripts in Latin, Arabic and Hebrew: all related, yet all different. Tracing what got "lost in translation" shows on how knowledge travelled across Mediterranean cultures through the centuries.
- Sponsored by DFG (German Research Foundation) and the NRW Academy of Sciences, Humanities and the Arts.
- More about the Averroes edition.
- An in-depth source-based study on how Carolingian law spread though Europe during the Middle ages and its influence on society.
- Sponsored by the NRW Academy of Sciences, Humanities and the Arts.
- More about the Capitularia project.
Past research projects
- Akoma Ntoso
- An XML-based set of technologies for legal, parliamentary and judicial documents, focused on authoriality, semantics and long-term preservation.
- Sponsored by UN/DESA, standardized by OASIS.
- More about Akoma Ntoso.
- A simplified syntax for XML Schema 1.1.
- Online converter XDTD -> XSD.
- More about XDTD.
- Isa is a software that allows the same text to be adapted to many publishing environments: paper publishing, on-demand printing, online learning.